View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks again for the interpretations. My apologies for the NBA reference -- I know that's frowned upon here. I don't own an NFHS or NCAA rule book, so I'm stuck with the NBA rules at the back of the "Official NBA Guide" published annually.

My point about not being allowed to pass the ball to oneself off the backboard stems from a clause in the NBA rules (again, my apologies) that says, "A player may dribble a second time if he has lost control because of (1) a field goal attempt at his basket, provided the ball touches the backboard or basket ring, (2) an opponent touching the ball, or (3) a pass or fumble which has then touched another player." It also says a dribble ends when the player "throws a pass."

It also defines a field goal attempt this way: "A player is attempting a field goal when he has the ball and is (in the judgment of the official) in the act of shooting or trying to attempt to shoot." (In this case a judgment is called for; similarly, I would imagine a HS official who sees a player throw the ball to himself must determine whether he was retrieving his own untouched shot (legal) or untouched pass (illegal, I think).

Taken together, I thought it illegal to pass the ball off the backboard to oneself. Perhaps it's only illegal if the player has ended his dribble.

I presume there's a similar rule at other levels of basketball, though if I'm wrong on that count, it wouldn't be the first time. :-)