View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Large school boys Sophomore against tiny school varsity (Team A). Good match up. Early in 1st quarter, dead ball after made basket by Team A. As teams and officials are beginning transition and before ball is at disposal of B, I (old trail, new lead (two man)) see B1 contact (call it an open hand push) A1 in throat with open hand hard enough for A1 to have to recoil. I whistled a Technical Foul on B1 for dead ball intentional contact. Coach A is yakking that contact was incidental and Coach B is immediately asking me if it was flagrant. Partner said he did not see the contact and I stuck with intentional as I did not sense malicious intent that would have been evident if the contact was a punch, blow or jab. Looking back over the play over these last two days, I think now that any intentional contact above the shoulder would have to be flagrant and thus DQ. 10.3.8 says you can have a difference between intentional and flagrant but I am not sure what that difference might be given the confines of my situation. This was my first Technical Foul, other than bench or admin. Any advice/thoughts?