View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

At times...

We definitely overlook some violations.

A team that is rolling the ball-in is behind in the score; the clock is stopped; they are trying to conserve time and thereby give themselves more time to score. If they are rolling it, there is no defensive pressure. I've never really considered it, but for me to call a violation on this play, it is going to have to be very obvious. By obvious I mean the player puts the ball on the floor OOB and then pushes it up the floor. I imagine it is possible for a player to roll the ball from 10 feet OOB but it doesn't seem likely. I'm envisioning the thrower to be close to the line, bent over, and gently rolling the ball onto the court... having the ball never touch OOB.

Of course I could lie down on the floor and with my eye next to the floor watch to see exactly where the ball first touched... then the ball would probably be passed half court by the time I got up to call a violation.

A team that is trying to make a throw-in against defensive pressure and that makes a sideways bounce pass that first touches OOB or on the line... I'm going to call that everytime. That is part of what you are watching for and is why you remain standing next to the thrower looking down the line. The poor pass was a result of good defense and deserves to be rewarded.