Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 05:50pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rgaudreau
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by rgaudreau

Does that mean that you think that officials should ignore violations if they think that someone will complain about the call?
This is a question of semantics.

I'm not saying we ignore violations and please don't go putting words in my mouth. However, to call this, is simply asking for trouble.

Now if player is bouncing ball out of bounds, 2, 3 or 10 feet away, it's a different story.

If the kid is backing up against the wall, and the ball has to roll 1, 2, 3 feet to get inbounds.... different story.

I just don't see this ever happening in a game. Not in a situation in which it we'd have to call the violation.

Simply asking for trouble? I completely disagree with your philosophy, Ren.

I've seen this exact play in games several times. It usually occurs in a situation something like this: Team A scores with 4-5 seconds to go to either tie the game, or go up a point or two. Team B calls timeout to set up a play. After the TO, B1, throwing the ball in, rolls the ball up the court to save a coupla seconds on the clock. If the rolled ball on the throw-in touches the floor OOB, it is a violation by rule, is it not? Same as if the player bounce-passed the throw-in into a teammate, and the bounce-pass hit OOB? Now if you don't call the violation, Ren, and B goes down the floor to win the game at the buzzer, who do really think won that game for team B? You, Ren- that's who! You screwed team A completely by ignoring the violation, and thus handing team B that undeserved advantage.

Call it any way that you want to. Imo, however, you are wrong to ignore violations like these.