Thread: Primary
View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

I work intramurals at Tennessee. Had girls' game last night between two of the best teams in the league (one team had two former D-1 players). I get stuck with a guy that is working his first-ever game, and he has absolutely no clue what he is doing. Throws up a hand on every shot attempt, throws up two hands on every 3-point attempted (not made, attempted). Since we don't ever have time for a pre-game and we usually don't know who our partners are until about 5 minutes before game time, the first half could have been a disaster. Luckily, the game was a blowout and not very physical. But I pulled him over to the side at the half and tried to give him some pointers, including free-throw administration and primary coverage areas, and he just looked at me like I was an idiot. I don't think he called a foul the whole game, and I was stuck calling a lot of stuff in his primary, even though I like to let my partner handle stuff like that. But this kid wouldn't even blow his whistle when the ball went out of bounds. How do you deal with someone like that when you aren't really in a position to say anything?