View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 05, 2001, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Hey Julie! Here's something my assignor told me that happened to her last Saturday. (Please note that this woman has been officiating for 25 years.) She got a call from a local church to please come officiate a couple 4th grade games as there was some kind of mix-up in scheduling, and no referees showed. So she went and during the second game some father was "riding" her constantly. She said, "I couldn't believe what I did...I think it's time for me to finally retire". She stopped the game, turned to the father and said, "Sir, if you don't be quiet right now, I'm going to lay down my whistle here, leave this gym, and one of you parents can officiate this game!" Now, I'm not suggesting that this is the appropriate way to handle spectators, however it does illustrate the point that we all, even 25 year veterans, can "lose-it" from time to time. (BTW: Not a "peep" from the Dad for the rest of the afternoon!)

Hang-in-there. Sounds like you're getting some great advice from this discussion board.

I'll close with a quote from "visionary" comedian Steven Wright:
"Experience is something you don't get until
after you need it."