View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

That is correct - that's what I was asking. He was just setting up shop there, but they weren't really running the offense through him or anything.

Normally, if they're standing around closer to the baseline and I'm lead (having been told that three seconds is a call you'd rather not make all the time) I'll just say "get out of the lane" if need be to keep play moving, since they're more just standing there than getting a huge advantage. And usually only the kids involved can hear it.

But when the kid's 15 feet (or 14.9 feet) away, I'm not going to yell up to the free throw line. But if there's no real advantage gained (which is, at the end of the day, what we're there for, right? To make sure neither team gets an unfair advantage?), I could see not making a big deal out of it.

Like I said, my partner had been at this for 18 years, he said. So I went with that. Didn't affect the outcome, it seems.

rainmaker, thanks for the tips on over and back. I'll try that next time. And I know you have to be all the way over before you can be over and back, right? So a player who comes partway across the line, but never gets both feet over, and then moves to the left or right and has the ball and/or a foot on either side of the line hasn't committed a violation?

I knew about the other scenario, where a player who was in backcourt comes over and takes a pass. You're considered to have achieved possession on the side of the court where your feet left the floor. Had that happen in high school when I played.

[Edited by OverAndBack on Feb 9th, 2004 at 01:55 PM]
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.