View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 03:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bcooley66
Lonnie Dixon was suspended, for setting aside the rules and doing his own thing. When BYU made that tying basket, a player from New Mexico asked Dixon for a timeout. That's why you heard a whistle from Lonnie Dixon. Lonnie then realized that New Mexico was out of timeouts, and from what was said, he supposedly decided to play on like he hadn't blown his whistle. He finally openly admitted this to the Mountain West Conference Commissioner, and that was why he was suspended. BYU should have been shooting the technical free throws, resulting from the excessive time out being called, and then had the ensuing throw in. Just goes to show you; "Get the game right!"

[Edited by bcooley66 on Feb 7th, 2004 at 05:13 PM]
bcooley,

I'm curious, where did you get your info? When I first read about this situation (I orig. posted this story with the title: "Was he guessing on a time out by UNM?") I was guessing that that is what he was doing. That is, anticipating/guessing on a time out by UNM. If what you say is true, then the whistle was tied to a time out situation--just not quite the one I was guessing at. And seems to remove the "inadvertant" part from our previous description.

If that is the way it came down, seems to me he really screwed up. I didn't see the game. Did the officials have any dead ball time prior to end of game to review # of time outs remaining etc.?

Guess when you make the "big bucks" you also pay on the other end when you mess up, huh? Which is a whole other topic. We all know coaches are held to some pretty high expectations and live and die by there won/lost records. For a "L" to be attched to Coach Cleveland's record for a loss for these circumstances, I think requires a high degree of accountability on the part of the officials as well--which is what seems to have happened here.

From the quotes of Cleveland, regarding this whole situation, I am impressed. Can you imagine the reactions of many other coaches--or at least one with the initials B.K. now coaching in the great state of Texas?

We know the officials got together during (right after) the situation with the BYU player off the bench after his whistle. Sounds like he painted himself into a corner with his decision to ignore the requested time out after first whistling play dead for it. Now he's forced himself and his partners into another whole set of decisions regarding the BYU player.

Indeed, "Get the game right!"