View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 02:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Blue is ahead by, like 25 or so, White 23 has the ball, and is trying to get into the key. Blue 40 steps over and has a good, solid shove. I'm at Trail and call the foul. Turn to report to the table, and hear another whistle behind me along with several raised voices, and some oooohs and aaaahs. I turn quickly to see Blue 32 with her arms wrapped around Blue 40 and my partner with his hands up above his head in an X. Yea, it was the wrong signal, but everyone seemed to know what he meant. White 23 was on the floor, with a couple of her teammates trying to keep her from retaliating. We got the fouls (two of them on Blue 40, the latter one flagrant) reported, and then the confusion started. Table couldn't seem to get it straight that we were dq'ing Blue 40 with only 4 fouls. We finally got that straightened out..

.. and then couldn't find the right shooter for the first foul. Seems coach had subbed her out. I went to the bench, and told her that we needed 23 back out to shoot the fts. Coach said she needed some time to cool off and that she wanted the sub to shoot. I said we couldn't do that, and she said, okay she's injured and I need her out. I hemmed and hawed a little, and she said, "Look you didn't give her a foul but she is pulled from the game. She's way too hot under the collar. She's not playing again tonight." I capitulated and let the sub shoot.

And then I really got messed up, and I can't believe I missed this. I was thinking the fouls had both been personal, and I was going to require the same girl to shoot all the fts. Partner, who wasn't real solid on a lot of the details, at least got this one right and straightened me out. Second foul had to be a T, since the ball was dead. D'oh!

So the White coach thought we should have dq'd her player, and surprise of all surprises, Blue coach had an opinion on that subject too! I have no idea if they're right because I didn't see it. I asked my partner later why he didn't, and he said she pushed, yes, but only as a sort of protective reflex (He didn't SAY that, but that was what he meant). Blue definitely had more attitude that White.

Now all I need to know is whether I'm required to file a report for JV. I'm not going to call and ask at 11:00 pm!