View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 06:10am
Official Forum Member

I agree. If DP has defensively played F1 or F2 (in the prior inning), we should allow the Courtesy Runner. Some coaches like to try to fool umpires on this rule...happened some in Indiana last year since we "experimented" with the rule. I know one coach who convinced a plate umpire twice that the DP gets a courtesey runner when batting for F1 or F2.

Here's how he did it. DP gets a hit. Let's just say that DP isn't "fleet of foot" and has to smack the wall with the ball to make it to first base. He then puts F1 (whom DP is batting for) in for DP (a substitution?). One pitch is thrown. Coach calls time, goes to umpire and says, "I'd like a courtesy runner for my pitcher." He agrees. Partner said nothing about it to the plate umpire (I was spectating). Coach does it again in the game.

Other coach is oblivious to the whole situation, doesn't say a word. See's me later in the season (non-softball related) and asks if it was legal. Said no it's not. He said he thought so but didn't want to complain about it.