Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: What would you do?

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
Quote:
Originally posted by SteveF
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
We had a kid in a freshman boys game grab the ring in warm-ups yesterday. The rule book (Fed) is pretty clear about this. But I've heard a lot of officials I respect talk about giving warnings or not seeing pre-game dunks. Why would you, or would you not, enforce this as written?
No offense intended here as I am sure these officials are okay if you respect them. But it is because of idiots like that ignore rules or decide not to enforce certain ones that make my job hard when I see it and call it by the rules. We don't have to agree with or like the rules. But when we put those stripes on we are out there to apply them regardless. Too many times we are officiating with different sets of rules. No wonder the coaches and fans are going balistic on us. They are seeing no consistancy. Why you calling a "T" he did it earlier this week and only got a warning or even worse a no-call. Aren't you suppose to give him a warning?
Steve, a couple questions here for ya. Player is making a jump stop his feet come down ever so slightly one before the other do you call it? On a free throw the kid in the lower block has their toe on the ground with their heel protruding over the Block, do you call it? I think not seeing this dunk attempt is as much about the timing right at the 15 minute mark as anything. If the kid was on the way to the hoop as the official walked out and he didn't see the official, then don't make a big deal out of it, especially considering he didn't get it accomplished. I have called it once, it was at the regional tournament, and my partner and I discussed it as it happened. We decided to pass on it because it wasn't a good way to start the game. We didn't think anyone really noticed it anyway, then one of his teammates came and asked us if we were going to penalize him, so at that point we did. The point being a reminder is usually best, a T is supposed to make the game better, starting off with free throws and the throw in with a coach with no coaching box, to me doesn't make the game better....I do think each sitution has to be judged on its own merit...
Situation 1 - Yes I call it. If I can tell they did not come down together I call it that way. There is a little gray area here if it is close. If I can not tell I give the benefit of the doubt and don't call.
Situation 2 - Yes I call it. Although in 10 years I have never seen this happen nor do I think it would ever happen since for the insuing rebound the player will want to be planted.
Situation 3 - I call it every time. The players know the rules. If it happens while I am on the court I have to call it. The rules do not give me the option. Rule says it is a technical plain as day. Guess after the coach has to sit the whole game that the kids won't be dunking before the game anymore.