View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

I have been officiating basketball for 5 years now @ the High School level. This year I decided to volunteer and coach @ the Junior level, 13-15 under NFHS Rules.

Well, here is the scenario. Three man crew. One official, for 3 weeks now, has been calling 3 seconds with shot halfway to the rim or ball was loose on the floor. Making calls out of his area and out of position. On one particular call in the 2nd quarter, he called over the back while in the T position heading down court from behind the play and could not see any contact, because there was no contact. (Now being an official, I have VERY tough skin.) After this call, I had wanted a tech to voice my opinion with the officiating, so I stepped onto the floor and said, "I have seen some bad calls in my time, but that was the worst". OK, I got my T I wanted. After reporting the T to the table, I asked the official who was standing approx. 12 feet from me, "I would like to ask you how you made that call from the position you were in". He T'd me again, 2nd T, I'm gone.

Was ejection warranted there, or was his skin too thin?

I regret acting that way for all you officials who are gonna tell me I should know better, but working the official is part of the game. One which I enjoy as an official. The bickering is another thing, but that was my 1st outburst.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.