View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FUBLUE
Here's one from a summer game I was watching. Talked to several peole about it, but not sure you all y'all have heard about it.

ASA 18U Fastpitch

R1 on Third, R2 on First. Two outs. Tied game. Three person system. All umpires are where they are to be (U1 between 1st and 2nd, U3 in fould territory at third, Plate at home--thankfully).

On the pitch, R2 attempts to get caught in a rundown in order to score the run. What is the proper mechanic for covering the rundown? Does U1 take it solo? Does U3 help, leaving Plate umpire to cover R1 at third? Does Plate cover backside of rundown and U3 rotate home? (Hey, I'm just throwing out options here)
Assuming a throw has been made in an attempt to pick off R2 (even though that would be one stupid play by the defense).

Plate umpire stays home, no rotation. U1 has the play, though I would think U3 would begin to enter fair territory toward 2B as an extra pair of eyes. U3 should not come inside the diamond or stray from 3B far enough to lose any angle for a possible call should the defense throw back to F5 in an attempt to get R1 if she leaves the base.

IOW, U1 has the play by him/herself.