View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: nice

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by bsktball_ref
While I appreciate your being blunt, your logic fails. I am sticking with NF rules here.

It is a stretch to say that casebook play 10.3.4SitB(a) is "exactly the same as the initial post on this thread".

The initial thread states that this is a dunk attempt. I'll quote, "A1 jumps for a try near the basket but loses his/her balance after releasing the ball. A1 grasps the basket to prevent injury. The ball: (a) is in the basket or on the ring while A1 is hanging on the ring."

The aforementioned situation is not a generic "try." By definition it is a dunk. And in the casebook example he grasps the ring following the try. In the exaple here, he is grasping the ring as part of a dunk or stuff. And--"Dunking or stuffing is legeal and is not basket interference" I don't believe that the spirit of the rule is ignored when the initial part of the dunk fails.
The dunking/stuffing reference gives a pass, so to speak, for BI of the hand-on-the-ball-while-in-the-cylinder type. Therefore, grasping the rim is not protected.

To look at this from another angle, let's assume that the dunk doesn't end when the ball bounces up off the rim (it does, IMO). In this case, the grabbing of the rim has nothing to do with the dunk. The majority of dunks are made without significant rim grabbing/touching. Since the grabbing of the rim is unrelated to the dunk, the grabbing is what we penalize as BI.
Mark - I had this situation last summer, before the new casebook interpretation came out, and I ruled, rightly I thinkat the time, since there was no case law, that it was not BI. I followed the play and interpreted it on the spot. A missed shot. A player leaps for the rebound, grabs it, attempts to dunk it. The ball is rejected by the cylinder, bounces straight up high over the basket. The dunker grabs the rim to stop his own momentum, and, in traffic, looks down to be sure there's a place to come down, before releasing the rim. While he's doing that, the ball falls through the basket.

I don't think you can penalize any rim-grabber who is 'legitimately' concerned for his own or another player's safety.