View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 07:42pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by CYO Butch
While I don't coach kids in leagues with those kind of restrictions (e.g., no zones), I have in the past, and I have numerous friends who still do. It is a SIGNIFICANT problem when you are trying to abide by the rules with your team, and another team ignores the rules with impunity. Teams that play zones when there is a specific league rule against it are CHEATING. For the officials to ignore it encourages cheating and bad sportsmanship, while at the same time it leads the non-offending coaches into fits of indignation and sometimes rage.
I agree that it is a significant problem. The direction of not enforcing the issue is not mine to make. At this point, my duty is to be consistent within our association. All the coach has to do is mention it to me and then I mention it to the other coach. On the 2nd time, I mention it to the game administrator. There is no violation or T called. If a coach gets into a rage over this, then s/he has other problems to deal with first.

Quote:
Originally posted by CYO Butch
PLEASE, if you are officiating in a league with such rules, ENFORCE the rules! That is why you are there. This is not the same a long 3 seconds where no advantage is gained. Failure to call illegal defenses gives the offending team a clear advantage gained through their unethical intent. This really is a big deal, much bigger than virtually any other single thing that might be overlooked during a game. It is an intentional violation by the coach and should not be tolerated. Issue a warning, then a "T". The coach is cheating!

How can kids learn respect for the rules, or for the officials for that matter, when something so key to the way they are being taught is ignored?

Sorry for the rant, but this is one of my major hot buttons!
We do enforce the rules: the first time we talk to the coach during a dead ball. That is the rule.

Illegal defense! NICE! Can I do the mechanic, too? And shot a 1-shot T? I'd love to do that!