View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

I had two interesting situations in games this week involving the timing of a whistle and wanted to run it by everyone for comment.

Situation #1:
My partner is at baseline (table side) to administer throw-in. I'm near half-court(opposite table) due to full court press. It was loud in the gym but I hear the coach of the in-bounding team yell for a timeout. Whenever I blow my whistle for a timeout, my partner blows his at exactly the same time for a 5 second throw-in violation. Who has precedence in this situation. I backed off and let my partner control the call(he was the referee). After further thought, I felt that we should have discussed it and probably give the coach the timeout. Your thoughts??

Situation #2: (Different game)
Five seconds left in first quarter. Team A inbounds ball and is being pressed. A player from Team B comes over and gives Player A1 (who is dribbling) a pretty good wack. I blow my whistle exactly at the same time the horn blows to end the quarter. Count the foul??? I let it go, but after further thought, I know that the foul happened a split second before the horn sounded. Your thoughts??

Thanks for your help,

Rock'n Ref