View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 30, 2001, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I agree with your comments/thoughts but have not read the article yet. I played Legion ball many years and if you went down looking with runners on board, don't bother bringing your glove/bat to the next practice because all you're going to do is run, or when a LL batter gives you dirty looks for calling a belt high middle of the plate strike 3.

Several of the local leagues from LL up are having problems finding umpw to work their games. I did several nights where I called both games behind the plate with a "volunteer" who was in actuality a parent or a chach who did not have a clue about positioning or how to make a proper call. Fortunatly in games like these there was not a lot of back talk from the coaches allowed.

I did a HS game last year by myself and informed BOTH coaches upfront that I would do the best I could but there was no way possible to be right on top of every play. for the most part there were no problems except for two plays with one going each way.

Question for the forum: In a situation like mine above, would it be customary for the home team to pay the fee for both umpires to the one who shows up? In other words should the single ump be paid a double fee if he is the only one there working the game? I await your answer(s)>