View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 30, 2001, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Mike, You sound like a considerate husband and a wonderful father!
Here's my situation:
I am a 37-year-old mother of three (boy 10-yr-old, boy 8 yr-old, girl 6 yr. old). I'm only in my second season as a basketball official.

I have tried to limit myself to being out-of-the-house in the evening to three times per week. It is more difficult for me in that my husband works often until 8:00 or 9:00 PM and I must rely on high school babysitters when I am out.

As your children get older, they will get involved in their own extracurricular activities (as stated above) and you will find it difficult "missing" occasional activities due to your officiating assignments.

There will also be times when you leave the house and it will be difficult. Last night I had a 6:00 PM High School JV game. Fifteen minutes before the babysitter was due to come, my 8-yr-old said he didn't feel well, I took his temperature...it was 103! I gave him a dose of Childrens' Advil. Told the sitter to keep him quiet on the couch. Took my cell phone. Called my husband at work to let him know about the homefront situation. And went and worked my game. I made a good effort to keep my mind focused on the game and did my best. It was difficult, but I got through it. Naturally, I was being evaluated last night!
Anyway, the point is...when you have young children situations like the above are not unusual. Just do your best...and keep on keeping on!!!

Best of luck to you and your young family! I hope your wife enjoys good health during this pregnancy and my thoughts are with you both for a safe and healthy delivery in August!

-Becky