View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 21, 2004, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

I said I wanted direct replies, and I meant it. Some of these answers, though, I find pretty surprising. For one, JRutledge and zebraman seem more cynical about the game than I am. I think the problem in the PAC can be fixed, we just need to acknowledge that we have one, and get after it. JRutledge concludes that the problem will never be solved because it is 100% the fault of the fans, and that they're all alike, and can't be fixed. zebraman's opinion is even simpler, almost timeless: "I'm a fanatic, I'm biased, and I'm wrong".

Look guys, I'm sure that the job's rewards doesn't always include an adoring public, and I know that the game is fast, and the job is hard. I agree that missed calls will always be a part of the game, and that errors are completely unavoidable. But that's not what I'm talking about. And I assure you, there IS a problem in the PAC, and I didn't cause it. In fact I'm quite comfortable with the diagnosis as I laid it out. I've seen it hundreds of times with my own eyes. I asked if the reputation extended to other circles, if they were clearly under qualified and under compensated, and who might be pulling their strings.

Besides, there was no problem with PAC 10 officiating prior to the early 1990's. And for the 25 or so years prior to that, there was considerable stress related to new rules and rule enforcement. There were penetration rules, "closely guarded" rules, and a 60 second clock before the current rule was established. The dunk was banished and restored, the "alternating possession" replaced the jump ball, 3 point shots were added (from 2 separate distances), freshmen became eligible, the top 60 teams qualified to play for the National Championship, coaches started to make $1 Million per year, a third referee was added to each crew, and national broadcasts of even fairly unimportant games became commonplace. The game is dynamic. And I am unaware of any unusual stress to the rules of the game right now. In fact, I would think the opposite is probably true. And yet I don't ever remember a time in which the PAC officials were anything like as intrusive on the game, or when differing officiating "philosophies" and or inconsistent rule enforcement were more distracting, detracting, or more determinative of game advantage or outcomes than now.

And without taking personal offense to the generalization, I'm just not buying the "fans never change, they all think referees suck" routine. I know there are some WACK-o's there, but the stereotype just doesn't fly with me. It;s lazy, and it's just a cop out.

Finally, if this is all in my head, and I'm participating in a psychotic mass movement that lacks all merit, and if the PAC officials are as good as there are anywhere, then there is something else I'm gonna have to figure out. Why do so many PAC 10 coaches elect to allow their intersectional opponents to provide the game officials, home and away, and not use PAC 10 officials when they travel, as they have the option to do? That it should be a better option to use your opponent's officials EVERY TIME you play them, than to EVER involve your own conference officials in the contest is counterintuitive to me, at least if there are no quality issues. Any ideas?

BTTB