Thread: Marking threes
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

I agree that we have peripheral vision. I am almost always aware when my partner signals a three, but when I mark it is when my focus is off my primary and I am ball watching. Awareness and physically mirroring are two different thing in my opinion. But coaches notice this stuff and I think it is important that if your partner has it then leave it alone.

Here is a rare situation, but one I have seen happen more than once. T indicates 3 attempt and C mirrors the attempt. Then T realizes that A1's toe was on the line and drops their hand. I have seen 2 different situation occur, neither of which is good I think. Senario 1- C drops hand as T does - I believe this indicates too much focus on T's movements and not enough on rebounding action. Senario 2- the shot goes in and C indicates successful 3 not realizing that T has taken away the attempt.

I am not agruing that you are not aware of what your partner is doing, just that your focus needs to be elsewhere when the ball is not in your primary and nothing good can come from marking 3 point attempts. I would be interested in anyone's opinion on how this would benifit the crew or the game. Like I said in my last post, not the end of the world by any means, but something that crews need to be aware of and talk about. C to T ball tranistion is extermly important in 3 whistle officating. We do not need 4 eye's on the ball.