View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 10:21am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Quote:
Originally posted by stan-MI
I'm surprised, though, that a good official like BktBallRef went along with the people who blindly recommended calling an intentional foul every time the bench was yelling, "Foul!" Ignoring 40+ years of accepted practice at all levels of the game usually will get you into trouble.
What BBR went with was either the word for word in the POE, or the interpretation of the POE on intentional fouls. POEs frequently happen because rules committees are trying to fix something they don't believe is being correctly enforced. I don' think the advice he got was strictly from this board, although I may be mistaken. I know that in my area, I saw refs call it precisely as BBR did during the year it was a POE. Not all, but some. Never seen it called in that manner since that year.

Also, since I am only 41 and I remember the intentional foul being put into the rules in my adult life, I don't believe that BBR ignored 40+ years of practice with respect to intentional fouls

From the POE in the 2000/2001 rulebook- "Acts that must be deemed intentional include when coach/player says 'watch,we're going to foul'."