Thread: Three Seconds
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gsf23
Then why does the 3-second count continually not get called?
I normally see it called when there's an advantage gained. Yes, the rule could be tweaked but it's not going to be eliminated.

Quote:
Why do refs come on here and say that if you call 3-seconds you won't work past junior high.
I've been reading this site for over 3 and a half years and I've never read that.

Quote:
Why do they say they won't call it unless they have been in the lane for 5...7...10 seconds? Why keep a rule in there that apparently very few people are willing to enforce or want to be enforced?
Quite honestly, I don't see that happening. What I do see is it called to strictly when a 5th grade girl is stiing in the lane but has no clue where she's at.

Let's say we change the rule to 5 seconds. Do you really think people are suddenly going to change and call it strictly by the rule? I don't.

It's the old adage. Give'em an inch and they'll take a foot. All changing the rule to 5 seconds would do is allow the players to be in longer and longer before it's called.

Quote:
Originally posted by davidw
BktBallRef,

Do you agree that most experience officials call most 3 second lane violations only after a good 4 to 5 seconds passes? If that is true, why not increase the limit to 5 seconds?
Experienced officials work higher level games. I don't see 3 seconds as a problem at those levels. Experienced officials call 3 seconds when it has an effect on the play.

Quote:
I think emphasis would have to be given: "There, we've increased the limit to 5 seconds, NOW CALL IT!" And there exits the possibility that with more '5 second' lane violations called the likelyhood of a decrease in rough play at the post would result?
I've pointed out above why I don't think 5 seconds would work. Allowing an offensive player to post in the lane for 7 or 8 seconds is an eternity. The defender has no chance and will probably foul before a violation is called.

Quote:
Originally posted by wizard
BBR,
Yes I have had this happen "your way" and it goes smoothly but more often than not the coach loses focus on what HIS PLAYERS should be doing and thinks he should be coaching me!
That's okay. I have a way to handle that too.