View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 26, 2001, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Question

Let me preface these questions with this.

I have three children (Twin girls who are 3 1/2 and another daughter who is 20 months old). My wife and I are expecting #4 in August.

My wife does not work outside the home.

I am currently officiating three sports: Football, basketball, and baseball. My favorite sport to officiate BY FAR is football. I do basketball because I enjoy being a part of a game in which I would love to have played but never had the skills. I picked up baseball because I played the game and I had a friend who thinks I can become a really good umpire. I'm going to give up baseball because I don't enjoy it. Too slow of a game for me.

My wife understands my desire to advance in football and grants me a lot of leeway. She doesn't complain too much about the basketball or baseball because she gets to spend the money I earn for the games on anything she wants.

My questions are these (and maybe answers from veterens would be helpful here):

How do you manage your family time? My kids are always in bed by the time I get home so I don't get to spend much time with them.

Do you have a spouse that complains about the time that you are gone and if so, how do you handle that? Have you made compromises? If so, what has worked?

For those of you with older children, does it get easier when the kids get older? How old were your kids when you started?

I may renew my license in basketball but not do any games. That way I don't lose any opportunity for promotion.

Let me know what your experiences are. They may be helpful in my final decision.

Thanks!