Thread: traveling
View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Men's Juco game this afternoon. 1st half, A1 catches the ball just outside the 3-point arc with both feet on the floor. A1 hops (jumps off both feet and lands left foot, right foot) about 6 inches to the right. Tweet! I call the travel. The kid looks at me like he's never even heard of a travel.

2nd half, A1 catches the ball outside the 3-point arc. A1 then steps forward with his right foot, followed immediately by the left foot. Tweet! I call the travel.

This time the coach wants to know what's up. "Not on the shot! Not on the shot!" Like it's ok to travel if you're "stepping into" the shot. He then demonstrates the correct technique by pretending to catch the ball, taking 2 steps and saying "One, two!" Like, "See, it's the 1-2 method!" I said, "Coach, that's an NBA rule. Not college." Gave him a shrug. He was baffled. I mean absolutely flabbergasted.

But that play gets passed on so much that a lot (maybe most) coaches and players just assume it's legal. Not in my game. Oh well.