Thread: Partner Trouble
View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PAT THE REF
Arrow

Sorry for the long post.

Everyone please help me. As I have stated in the past I am a 3 year basketball official for middle school games. I am also reffing a recreational league for 7-8th grade boys.

I was told last week that no one was keeping track of fouls. I found this weird and stopped my game. I talked to the official on the other court next to me (the gym is divided into 2 halves) and he told me that if i thought the player had enough fouls then throw her out of the game. I asked him "what if i didnt know" he told me that it is my word against theirs; and referee's always win.

I have been dealing with this guy for 3 years now and the problem is that his father *(he is 19) is the league director for basketball. He basically thinks his stuff dont stink and he is the gift of god to basketball officiating.

He made my timer even cry; by yelling at her and telling her not to listen to me. (BTW I am only 17 years old). People actually fight over me to ref their games because they say i am one of the best.

I have thought up an idea to keep a card *(like soccer officials use) in my pocket and marking down/checking off the number of the offending player. 6 checks and they are gone. Same with team fouls. At least this will keep me honest.

BTW- No one is there/knows how to keep a scorebook and the coaches usually lie against their own team. Please Help