View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Good Discussions!

Quote:
Originally posted by Woodee
Last night I had to T up two Asst Coaches trying to be Bobby Knight. In both instances the coaches jumped off the bench and yelled at the top of their lungs at my partner.

Well, when I got home I was telling my 17 year old son (who plays HS B-Ball) what happened and he said "Dad I know they didn't yell at you". I replied no, but why do you say that and he asks "were they White Coaches", I said yes, "with White players" I say yes "and was your partner White" I say yes, my son ended, "they are not going to yell and scream at a Black Referee because they are afraid of how you might react". It made me think for a minute and you know, noone has yelled or screamed in my face, YET!

Since I'm new to officiating is this somewhat true?
I think my son's view is that these Coaches are not use to being around Blacks (especially yelling at an adult Black), therefore they don't know what to expect other than what they see, hear or read about Blacks, which is sometimes negative.

I asked two of my mentors both Blacks with 20 + yrs experience and one said "he never thought about it before, but quickly trying to remember he said "NOONE has ever pulled a Bobby Knight on him". The other person said "it was because I did a good job and thats why they didn't yell at me". He also mentioned that when I do this longer I will eventually get it.

The purpose for this thread was to make us think about it.

Personally if a Coach is afraid of me because of my race, well SHAME on him or her.

Please keep in mind I don't want any Coach yelling at me. I carry a 9 millimeter!

Good discussions!