Thread: Flagrant fouls
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 24, 2001, 01:06pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I think part of any differences is that I am from Ontario. Ontario is the only Canadian province that uses Federation rules. Others use either FIBA or modified NC2A rules. My understanding is that some other provinces have changed recently, but have changed from FIBA to NC2A, or similar, but we are still the only ones using Fed.

At Ontario meetings, Ontario changes are discussed. They're mostly mechanical. In other words, no rules are changed. (It's not like we consider the division line part of the frontcourt.)

Brian:

The basket counts signal I see is the referee putting his arm up in the air, palm out, then bending at the wrist, and bringing the arm down in a sweeping motion. If you have a better wy to convey this signal using text, please, do so. However, I just did this signal. I think it looks, quite honestly, faggy. Signals used up here are: making a fist at eye level, in front on the body, and bringing the fist down to your waist. Or making a fist at eye level, 6 inches outside your elbow, then sweep the arm down across your body to rib level.

Same w/ the illegal use signal... I see an open hand striking the wrist area of the arm with an open hand. I think that looks weak. I use fists.

The held ball signal... I interpret the book as being extending your arms out in front of you, not bent, with your thumbs up. Then, sweep your arms up over your head, rotating at the shoulder. I've never seen it done that way. I usually just come in with two thumbs up, shoulder width apart, 6 inches above my head.

Todd:

It is possible to give the "heave-ho" signal calmly. Just stand in the FRA, do whatever you must say, and simply point in a diagonal fashion across your body. As for a coach going ballstic over a flagrant. I'm sorry, but I've gotta wonder about a coach if he reacts violently when one of his players does something to warrant a flagrant foul.

I totally know where you're coming from in terms of unorthodox signals and being in sync as a group. I'm a product of the provincial development system here in Ontario, and have done some evaluations myself. Up here, where the conditions warrant, it's ok to give another signal. Like I mentioned, play opposite the bench, so players are in the key, obscurring the coach's views. A2 drives baseline, and B1 lifts his knee and leg up to block A2 from driving the baseline. A2 falls OOB. Gotta call this one.

In the FRA, "Blue, 12, block." Giving the blocking signal as you say "block", then repeat the action the defender did. I'm not saying you need to do this every foul. But if the coach is off the bench, asking you what he did, this will/should clearly show him what happened. His player wasn't moving his feet fast enough.