View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 06, 2004, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chuck chopper
I don't have my book here at work. Can we call Baker out for running bases backwards..he started going back to 2nd when he was being forced to go to 3rd ?
No, there is no rule restricting the direction of a runner.

Quote:
Originally posted by mach3

Concerning the "fourth out" (variation 3):

I don't know if this woud be different for different codes. I do ISF Rules (being from Germany) and only have an older ASA Rules Book.
But I would not count the out being made at 1B as a fouth out since this is not an appeal. The third out of the inning was made when Charles passes Baker. Inning over. Outs only on appeals.

So in all cases: score the run.
You are not going to find it in any rule book, but the interpretation is to allow the defense the continuation and consider the fourth out as the final out of the inning to nullify a run scored during the play. Since Henry Pollard and Merle Butler hold the same positions with ISF as that of ASA, I would only assume the interpretation would be the same.

It has also been reasoned that the throw to first after the third out is the same as appealing a runner leaving 1B and not touching 2B for a fourth out to nullify a run.