Thread: Flagrant fouls
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 24, 2001, 09:02am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
I would politely disagree.

I wouldn't give a baseball heave-ho signal. For one, I don't think it is in the book and two that might really blow the coach up.

You simply report your foul as flagrant (Intentional or T), then simply tell the book the player is disqualified from further competition. This way is "softer", and makes it sound more like the kid got his 5th. You have to inform the player and coach they are DQ'd. Then move on to administer the penalty.

I have found it is all in the wording, the less confrontational you are, the better it goes. Hopefully it was an obvious reason, and the coach usually will be more upset at the player than you.
Perhaps. I've seen it been given a few times, and no problems arose. As for not being in the book, big deal. Who uses the proper "basket counts" signal? Noone up here. On a weird foul, I report to the table, for the coaches, what actually happened. Par example, it's not uncommon for me to bring my knee up and slap it. Signals a block. Especially if it happens in the corner, where the coach can't see. But, the coach then learns what the player did - he didn't move his feet fast enough, and allowed the player the baseline.

It all depends on what level of game you're reffing, how you fit in with your association, and other things as well.

..Mike