View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Darn it! Dan beat me to it again. The play is specifically addressed in Hank Nichols' first bulletin of the season. Dan already pasted the whole case play, but I'll do it again.

Quote:
3. BR-72, Rule 4-33, Guarding. B1 slips to the floor in the free-throw lane. A1 (with his or her back to prone B1) receives a pass, turns and, in his or her attempt to drive to the basket, trips and falls over B1. RULING: Foul on B1, who has taken an illegal defensive position (NCAA memorandum January 23, 1996, page 3).
This seems directly applicable to the original question, and does not apply only to situations where the prone player is under the basket.
Isn't the reference more closely in keeping with the requirement that a back screener give the opponent a step of space? The reference talks about A1 having "his or her back to the prone B1", whereas the original question makes no mention of the player who fell to the floor being behind the other player. The reference also is under the heading "Guarding", which doesn't seem to be the case here. Finally, while I don't know if it is relevant, in the reference there is team control by A, while in the question there is no team control during the attempt to get the rebound. It strikes be that there are enough differences that I question whether the reference should apply.