View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick KY
Had this play in a game this season.

On 1st & 10, QB A1 rolls wide right and throws the ball deep out of bounds to avoid a sack. Obviously intentional grounding, and R had the flag down.

On the enforcement, I am working the chains, telling the box man to set it and it's now 2nd down with loss of down, after I walked off 5 yards from end of run. When I look up I see the ball is placed by U 5 yards from previous spot, not from the end of run, about 4 yards difference. So I give a couple short blows into my whistle to get R's attention. Then I run out to tell them they spotted the ball in the wrong place, a result of improper enforcement. I was the only member of the crew who was certain of this, and consequently R would not reassess the yardage properly, but would leave it as it was. After about 30 seconds of discussion, I said "well if I can't convince you otherwise we should go from here and move on". And I went back to my position and we continued the game.

Once back in the locker room we checked the rulebook, and they were all convinced.
Had just the opposite last season. Fourth and 5. QB rolled out toward the LJ and as he was about to get sacked threw the ball into an area without receivers. LJ tossed his flag (that is a subject for another discussion) for an IG.

I was ready to enforce a five-yard penalty against the offense and then turn the ball over to B when my crew said I was wrong. B could not get the penalty and the ball. I argued the penalty gets enforced with a loss of down the ball goes over to B on downs. I gave in being in the minority.

The halftime discussion was, after the chewing out about an LJ throwing an IG flag, I was right and how to enforce fourth down penalties with loss of down.