View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 23, 2001, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
As to the other major point of this thread: I do not grant timeouts when a coach is communicating with a player. If a coach wants me to do something, he must ask me. If I'm in a good mood, I just might listen to him
Mark--This very philosophy is what got me embroiled in ejecting a coach last year, as discussed elsewhere on this board. I was about three feet away from him on trail, he started yelling Time Out but when I glanced at him he was not giving a visual signal, nor was he looking at me, and besides he was yelling. Furthermore, he already had one T but was up off the bench, so I reasoned that he wouldn't want me to see him breaking rules, and that he was trying to teach his girls how to call a time out in a certain situation.

I looked from him to the girls who were all looking at him, and one of them said, "What?" I looked back at him and screamed "Time out" again, still not looking at me and still not giving a visual signal. I looked back at the girls, then at him and then he let me have it! So he asked for a T, and I gave it to him.

I agree with the idea behind what you are saying, but it doesn't always go over real big with coaches.