View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 01, 2004, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As the LJ was turning back around to observe the runner, the offesive player removed his hands from the defensive players' back. The runner scored.

I met the LJ at his flag and asked if he had a block in the back. The LJ replied "yes". I then asked him "what did you see?".....He told me that he had seen the player "with his hands on the defensive players' back"......I then told him what I saw......I then said unless you tell me otherwise we're going to wave it off.....the touchdown play stood.

Quote:
Originally posted by SeanWest
Everyone seems to agree this should have been *some kind* of penalty.

I'm still curious as to why it was waived off in the original story...

-Sean---
Here is my interpretation for what it is worth.

LJ saw a hand on the back and flagged it while continuing to officiate. The trailing R saw the player remove his hand without completing the block and his interpretation was no advantage was gained, wave off the flag.

As the WH I cover in pregame what to do when two officials see different views. If the R is not involved the officials are to determine between themselves what occurred and one will report it to the R. My thought is unless the R was an observing official his involvement might indicate he made the decision. As the R, I only involve myself in the conference when there appears to be disagreement and someone needs to be the arbiter that makes the decision.