View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 03:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Exclamation What??

Quote:
Originally posted by AK ref SE
This is why I was thinking about not continuing to referee after this year. One person thinks there opinion is the only one that counts and just because they have more years ( I have 9 years) they are right. I am the most Junior official in my association, and not age wise either. We keep losing our new official because of the attitude that only one opinion counts. I can count on one hand the amount of officials in my area that are ready for Varsity HS ball. I have seen about 12 new referees come and go after one season.
If someones opinion is so great, their opinion is the only interpretation that is correct, then they should be doing it for the NCAA commitee or the NBA.
This post probably wont last...But I got to say my peace!

AK ref SE
Why would you care what someone's opinion is? I mean really, how does that affect your ability to officiate or kill your desire? If that is the way you feel, you heart is not in it to begin with. Especially if you are worried about what someone might say here.

If you want a rules reference, use 2-3 which says, "The referee shall make decisions on any point not specifically covered in the rules." This situation is no where in the casebook and it does not say where it is in the rulebook on how to handle this. So if this happens (which no on says it has), I am doing what I feel is best.

And JR and Mark can argue until the cows come home. I am sure neither live in the same place and what decisions they make are not going to matter what the other individual thinks. And if that kind of thing ruffles your feathers, then you were not committed to officiating in the first place. Please do not take this as an attack, but to complain what someone thinks as the reason to stop officiating (when they live no where near you), you were not committed in the first place. If you stay in, we would love to have you. But there are guys every year that drop out. You will not be the first and certainly will not be the last.

Peace