Thread: backcourt
View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 28, 2003, 02:40am
Official Forum Member

Missing Link - I, too, watched the game on CBS today featuring UCLA/Michigan. If I'm not mistaken, the play took place with approximately 52 seconds remaining (Michigan leading 67-63) in the second half. Bruin Forward Trevor Arizia committed the "over and back" violation. I remember the play you outlined for three reasons:

1. When the play occurred, it immediately looked odd. The Ann Arbor crowd and Michigan bench went crazy when the Bruin point guard went into the frontcourt and returned to the backcourt. Since it happened so quickly, I was hoping for a replay and my wish was granted. Although CBS replayed it only once, it definitively showed both feet of the Bruin PG in the frontcourt while the ball remained in the backcourt. It took place in a secondary transition break by UCLA, so the Trail was immediately in front of the Michigan bench (this took place, again, toward the end of the second half). The Center official popped his whistle and signaled "over and back" immediately with the Trail coming in afterwards.

2. UCLA Head Coach Ben Howland was livid at the call having to be restrained by his staff. A timeout was called after the violation and CBS, going into the commercial, had the camera pointed directly at Howland as he fired several expletives (oh, you could tell what he said!) at the official.

3. The play solidified how basketball officials are forced to make judgement calls at the "drop of a hat" without the benefit of television plays. No instant replays (well, sometimes..), no team challenges, and no "upon further reviews." Although, I feel, they missed the call, it has no bearing on their ability as Division I basketball officials. I should note it all seemed to work out for, during the ensuing play, Michigan PG Daniel Horton committed a turnover returning the ball to UCLA.