View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 22, 2003, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

The problem with using slang terms like "on-the-floor" is that they so often contribute to the propagation of part of a myth.

Taken literally, "on the floor" implies that you can't have a shooting foul if the shooter is still in contact with the floor. Of course, we know that is not true: once the foot/arm movemets have begun, the act of shooting has begun.

However, to use this term will continue to contribute to controversy and misunderstanding. You and I may know what it really is intended to mean but we are actualy communicating not only to our partners but to the teams, coachs, and spectators. We shouldn't use any words or signals that perpetuate a myth.

Some other common communication phrases or signals that also convey the wrong thing and propagate myths:
  • Wasn't set
  • Traveling on the throw-in
  • Over the back
  • Reach

If we are going to use non-book terminology, we must at least make sure it is not actually communicating the wrong thing.

Instead of "on the floor", I simply state "White, 44, block, blue ball OOB" (while pointing to the spot). If it is close, I'll preface that with "No Shot" (and matching signal).

[Edited by Camron Rust on Dec 22nd, 2003 at 05:11 PM]