View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 22, 2003, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Everyone,

For many years, my father worked as a teacher at an Indiana high school. Around the 60's or 70's, my dad saw something at a basketball game, that to this day he still talks about.

He was working as a radio commentator for his High School, which I believe was Whiteland. It was the end of the game, just a few seconds left, and the visiting team was leading by one point, and was inbounding the ball from underneath the home team's basket. The home team set up a full court press, hoping to steal the ball and make a quick basket. The crowd was going crazy. When the ball was inbounded, it was caught by a player from the visiting team. This player was so rattled by the crowd and pressure that he shot the ball AT THE WRONG BASKET. The buzzer sounded while the ball was in midair. The ball then dropped through the hoop. The crowd went bonkers...however, the official ruled that the basket was no good.

Needless to say, there was pandemonium, and the official had to be led out of the gymnasium by security. My dad has wondered for years, did the official make the right call? We have never been able to find out! Can someone help us? It is possible that current rules may not apply, since the game occurred many years ago.

Thanks for your reply, and I hope you enjoyed the story!