View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 21, 2003, 11:44pm
Administrator

With apologies to J. Dallas Shirely, I teach my students to never say "on the floor."

To say "on the floor" is meaningless. When a player is fouled, he/she is either in the act of shooting or not in the act of shooting. A player can be in contact with the floor and still be in the act of shooting. I do not have my NFHS or CCA officials manuals in front of me, but the correct procedure when calling a foul is:

1) The official should sound his whistle and signal the timer to stop the clock.

2) The official should step toward the player who committed the foul and call out his/her color and number.

3) If free throws are not to be shot, the official should signal the spot and direction of the throw-in and announce the color of the team making the throw-in.

4) If free throws are to be shot, the official should announce the number of free throws and announce to his partner(s) the color and number of the free throw shooter.

If this protocol is followed there is no confusion as to what type of foul was committed.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio