View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 21, 2003, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by timharris
hello all,

just wanna say i have never personally met any of you guys are gals here but from the rule knowledge and rules interpretations that i have received here, i would referee a game with most of the officials here and thats a fact, thanks for all the useful information over the years you folks are the best and as long as this site is here, we all will make the game alot easier too officiate. now geting to my question during my rules interpretations clinic last wednesday, i informed the guys we will no longer use the terminology "on the floor" this has no meaning in the game of basketball, what we are really trying too say is "no shot", i was trying to point out, if you are saying, on the floor, why not say "in the air" when the airborne shooter is fouled in the air, but my problem is with some of the older veterans of the game, they have been saying this so long they dont wanna change, but i have informed them as rule interpretator and evaluator, if this term "on the floor" is used while being evaluated, points will be deducted from there evaluation. how do you fellow officials feel about this? any information will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

have a very merry christmas

timothy harris
rules interpreter
regional officials association

[Edited by timharris on Dec 21st, 2003 at 04:02 PM]
1) Please use sentences. They will make your posts easier to read.

2) As I read this, you came across as a "dictator" in announcing / enforcing the change. I'm sure this isn't what you meant to do, and it may not be what you thought you did, but if your actions in the meeting are accurately reflected in the post, that's what you did.

3) NCAA W machanics, 13.B.f, specifically allow, "On the Floor."