View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As for #63, violations occur following resumption of play procedure, not technicals. "The procedure results in a violation instead of a technical foul for initial delay in specific situations." Rule 4-37, page 38
Here's my thought process.

B violates by not having a player in the space on the first throw. That's resuming play because that is the initial delay. When the space is still not occupied for the second throw, it's a T.

8-1-1c
Following a violation by one or by both teams, if that team(s) continues to delay it is a technical foul.

Once the first FT is shot, we are no longer under the RPP and it's a T.

I may be wrong but I don't think the fact that A makes the first FT has any bearing. Quite honestly, I can find anything that addresses this. But I seem to remember a case play that said even though the FT is made, it's still considered a violation by B under this procedure.

[/B][/QUOTE]
I hate to bring this up again but going over my part 2 test got me thinking...
Everything that has been said before about the situation is correct. Here's where I'm struggling: Under Resuming Play, B violates by not having two players in the first spaces. However, with the successful FT attempt, the violation goes unpenalized. Considering the fact that the violation went unpenalized should it be a T?

Has anyone posed this question to their state interpreter or has anyone received a definitive answer from the NFHS or their state association?
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer