View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 01:42pm
Huck Finn

Re: There are 7 areas of consideration.

Rut: You can agree or disagree, I am just sharing with you what the system is, I did not create the system myself. To be honest with you, schools always have a say to some extent. Do not ever think because you have just a "board" makes the decisions, that they are not influenced by what schools and coaches want. Because if you have had run ins with many coaches, it is going to make the powers that be think about what you have been doing out there to have them dislike you so much. You know, the when there is smoke, there must be fire theory.

Tomegun: I was not talking about one person having problems with many coaches. I'm talking about calls that many officials don't have the guts to call and an official calls it and a coach wants him crucified.

Rut: As I stated, one person makes the decision who makes the playoffs. One person for the Boy's side, one person for the Girl's side. This is just a recent thing that they tell us what the criteria are. But I do know that all of that is just a guideline, not the final straw. Because as officials advance thru the playoffs, if someone representing the IHSA does not see you, you are not going to likely go that far in the playoffs to begin with. All that data might help you get in, but you have to prove that you were worthy to advance. And you will probably never advance to the next level, like a Sectional (second level) or Super-Sectional(third-level), unless you have done at least a Regional or Sectional in past years. So I can speak for myself, I will not be doing a Super-Sectional this coming year.

Tomegun: I was just telling you how it is in Las Vegas. If you handle your business in the state of Nevada you will progress. Pure and simple. I have advanced as far as you can go in class 3A boys and I know the process for choosing officials.

Rut: I could be wrong, but I do not buy that completely. Because if you make a tough call, I am sure the assignor, commissioner is not going to just send you to a bad situation on purpose, especially if the coach or AD complained heavily.

Tomegun: I have also seen what some would call bad situations and what are bad situations. I'm not criticizing you or the Illinois system. I'm simply stating that a coach should have zero influence. I've seen this attempted and I've seen it fail. In the state of Nevada there are opportunities for good officials and more importantly good people. I know this for a fact.