View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 11:19am
Huck Finn

JRut, whoa wait a minute. IHSA, is that Indiana or Illinois? I'm from Indiana, that's why I ask.

I can agree with most of what you said because it makes sense except for one thing. I don't agree with someone from a school having a say in who get's in the playoffs. I just had an experience last night that showed me again that some officials do not want to handle the "dirty work" in order to keep coaches and administrators happy. We are already fighting a losing battle as far as sportsmanship goes. You add the fact that a "big time" coach has a say in how far you advance and then he gets away with stuff. Remember, I'm not talking about anyone on this board but I have seen this happen. Has anyone else seen this happen? Honestly.

In Nevada it is up to the commissioner. The state is broken up into south, north and east. Each region has a commissioner and they decide. This has it's flaws too but overall you have a mix of reward and need. You reward some officials and you need other officials. The games are assigned according to how the commissioner feels you do. You could have made a tough call on a team and that coach just has to deal with it, he/she has no say. One thing they do in Nevada which is an abomination is the playoffs are in Zones. Depending on a rotating system a zone could put 3 teams in the state tournament. You could come in 3rd in the zone and win state the next week! This is still unreal to me. Being from Indiana I believe in putting all the teams in and one team will be left standing. I know they changed the format in Indiana and I think that is an abomination too.