View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 07, 2003, 02:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Officiating is a job with different requirements.

Officiating is about what we enjoy, not what we have to do. When an official gets to a certain level, it is not uncommon for that official to not be enthusiastic to do lower level games. For one, the pay is not the same. The respect given is not the same and the attitude of the coaches and fans are not quite the same. If we are going to be offended because the official that we are working with, did a D1 game the night before, then what else is going to offend us. Maybe that is his experience and like many of us, we like to talk about our experiences. For one I am not at the D1 level, but I could not talk to you about any JH games I have done in the past few years. So when I do one next week, all I can talk about is the varsity tournaments and the big games I have had, when asked. I will be working with an varsity assignor, but the talk will not be about the "big time JH matchup" we had last week.

Now I was not there, but is seems that many here speak of guys that talk about doing levels that many us will never get to, and we seem to take issue with that. D1 Officials are not going to change their mechanics, to satisfy the "lower level officials." They are doing what they are confrontable with and unless the NF changes many of their mechanics to fall in line with the NCAA, they are going to stick what works for them.

I think also the final point should be made on this topic, is that everyone cannot do JH thru the NBA every week. If I even try to do JH, HS and college games in a week, I will never be able to go to work. At this point of my career, it is almost impossible for me and others that do a lot of varsity ball to do any JH games. Many cannot get off at work in time to work those games or we have other games that we would rather do that same day. Even the HS varsity game and a D3 college game are on the same nights. You cannot do both. The travel for the college game is usually longer and the HS games are less pay. And I know many officials that would rather do the college game with 1/3 of the crowd and more pay than a HS varsity game with 2000 more fans and half the pay.

I think younger officials need to try to take the opportunity to learn from officials like this, then getting upset over what level they did the night before. Because if that is an issue, then maybe they should not talk about anything.

Peace