View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 27, 2003, 02:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Disagree and agree

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser

(1) I absolutely, positively hate the new on-the-blocks positioning. That positioning may be what the college officials use and the 3-official crews use, but it is stupid to use it in a 2-official game. It puts the officials about 80 feet apart during the timeout. There were several instances that I wanted to have a brief word with my partner and the distance was a barrier. Besides that, we found ourselves gesturing quite a bit regarding the subsequent throw-in spot in case the non-administering official was asked by the bench closest to him.
Rich, I have been doing this mechanic for years. Never ever had a single person say anything about it. We even used what is called in some circles the "swinging gate." The official without the ball will "sweep" across and inform the coaches and players of the horn and move to their position on the side of the court where they are going to be located. This is usually done inbetween quarters. Just because you are far away by mechanic, does not mean you cannot talk to you partner at all. You will get used to it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
(2) I'm also unenamored by the non-calling DQ foul provision, which I mentioned in another thread. Another contrived way to keep an official from having to communicate with a coach after making a call. Didn't happen last night, though.
My first game, we had the calling official tell the coach himself. I think still it is much better to tell the coach of your own foul. You called it, you can tell him or her what the deal is. It also eliminates more confusion on calls that everyone cannot see. If I call an off-ball foul on a screen, it is very possible that no one knows what was called by the official that made the call. None of the other officials if doing their jobs are watching the reporting of the foul and probably are caught a little off guard by who fouled. It is much better to have the guy that made the call, to tell the coach. You do not have to stick around and have a lenghty conversation, you can still get out of there.

Peace