View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 16, 2001, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

my response was directed more towards mr watson and rainmaker and specifically mr watson
he stated that "you can always bust out a double" this was the type of answer i hoped i would not get
it was given without any basis at all

Sideline
My guess is that you're relatively new to this board, and it is always great to get fresh input. You have undoubtably noticed that some folks just rattle off the call rather than the reason on their initial response to a posting, which frequently leads to more discussion of the point, as occurred here. Having read brian and rainmaker's follow-ups, I hope you would agree that they do have a reason for their call and it is one way they deal with a game management issue. While you or I might not agree with their call if it happened in a game we are at, I think that they can justify the reason within the rules and within the concept of game management. Every ref has to set their own standards, especially in this gray area of incidental contact, advantage (O or D), or double foul.

And that final point was my initial point - we can't from the sidelines judge why a ref has made a specific call on these bang-bang plays. I believe that they are seeing much more than we tend to give them credit for.