View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 18, 2003, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

SeanWest has it correct. In Canada, no quarter will end if a penalty is accepted (with a few exceptions). This means that if Team B chooses to assess the penalty on the kick-off then there must be a kick-off to assess it on.

Can your halves end on offensive penalties? For instance, if Team A scores a TD on the last play of the half but is called for holding do you take away the TD and allow the half to end? We would take away the TD but this would mean that Team A would have one more play.

The wording of 1-5-6 is not that great in making this situation clear but there is plenty of case book support for the idea of adding a kick-off when there is a penalty when time expires.

SeanWest is also correct on #5 in that declining the penalty would give the ball to the kicking team. In that case the half would end though.

I will have to get a copy of your NF rules to see some of the differences. I also referee Basketball and we in Canada use the NF rules for that sport so there we would be speaking the same language.

So my question then to you is how many extra "untimed" plays have you had in your experience? (Your rules clearly do not lend themselves to extensions like ours.)