View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 17, 2003, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

I'm no expert on this either. I'm still a student of the rules of football and officiating and come here to learn but just wanted to throw in my piece...

My interpretation on reading Rule 1-5-6 as quoted above is that the rule is similar to the concept of "the half can't end on a defensive penalty" but expanded to be something more like "a QUARTER can't end on ANY penalty".

However, I can also understand mbcrowder's interpretation since the try is where time ran out and the foul occured then there should be one additional play (the re-try, I guess). Since time will have ALREADY run out before any subsequent plays begin, a strict reading of this rule would seem to not endorse further plays, regardless of the penalties.

(Aren't tries untimed? How would the clock run out? .....Forgive my ignorance.)

I have to disagree with mbcrowder's interpretation for situation number 5 though. It seems pretty clear from the rule quoted that the receiving team has the option to take possession of the ball without forcing a re-kick. Declining that penalty would give the kicking team (A) the ball, wouldn't it?

-Sean---