View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 17, 2003, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

First let me state that I am absolutely not an expert on Canadian rules specifically. However, the wording on these rules is similar to NCAA. I have a couple of comments that may be completely wrong - but the rules stated (assuming there are no other rules that apply) don't seem to support the actions that happened as described...

On 3 - given the 3 options by the team accepting the penalty, it seems to me that "Disallow score, repeat convert, apply penalty on kickoff" does NOT specifically tell you to extend a period if the period was over already. Repeating the conversion seems to be enough to fulfill the extension of play required by your rule 1-5-6. (It MIGHT lend itself to allowing for the penalty to be enforced on the first play of the succeeding period - maybe.) The option to "allow score, apply penalty on kickoff" seems odd, but may lend itself to extending the period to force another kickoff.

On 5, it sounds to me (a confessed non-expert here) that B's option to rekick would be "accepting" the penalty, and a rekick would be required in this situation. But the 2nd part - B's possession as first down at point of possession by A sounds like DECLINING the penalty, and doesn't sound like it would require yet another play according to your rule as stated.

Any other Canadian experts out there that can either set me straight on this or at least clear up the water?

West Houston Mike