View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 15, 2001, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref
consider a lay-up. Assume I'm a right-handed player going in for a lay-up on the right side of the basket (right side, facing the basket). I end the dribble WHILE taking my step with the right foot. Since left foot is on the ground, isn't the left technically my pivot? Let's for argument's sake say "yes". I continue on the lay-up by completing my right-footed step, lift my pivot foot--my left foot--and COMPLETE a left-footed step. Now, I use my right foot to make that last thrust to the basket to attempt my lay-up. By rule, I've just traveled! But it's always passed on--and passed on by me.
Normally, a player will end the dribble as he strides with one foot, which becomes the pivot, and then he'll step with the second foot. When the second foot steps, the pivot foot leaves the floor. The shot is released before the pivot returns to the floor. This is perfectly legal.

Quote:
Sitch #2. Player A2 is on the wing. A1 passes to A2 who steps in (or is stepping in) with his left foot. A2 steps up with his right foot and plants it on the ground as he begins to go up for a jumpshot. A2 shoots the ball. This is another travel BY RULE that always seems to get passed on--and passed on by me.
This isn't traveling. A2 has only taken one step. The left foot becomes the pivot. He steps with the right foot. When the player leaves the floor, he is still legal as long as the shot is released prior returning the pivot to the floor.

In the play that I'm talking about, A1 has both feet on the floor, ball in his hands, back to the basket. What has happened prior to this point is of no consequence. Let's say he's right handed. He steps with his left foot, establishing his right foot as his pivot. He then lifts the right foot and spins his body. He places the right foot backl on the floor, now facing the basket. He jumps and shoots. That's traveling but it's not being called.

It's no different than a player in the same sitch who is facing the basket. A1 has both feet on the floor, ball in his hands, facing the basket. He steps with his left foot, establishing his right foot as his pivot. Then he steps with his right foot. Two steps! Traveling! Same play except one is facing the basket, the other is not.