View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 06, 2003, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
There are a few changes to terminate a teams at-bat upon the hitting of a HR in excess of the limit.

I'm unsure about this one. I know the players who play up would hate it.

Moving Men's Major bases to 80' and all other men's to 70'.

I have no problem with this though many complexes may have difficulty. However, if stealing is allowed, the bases MUST be extended.

Allow stealing at all levels of men's slow pitch

Don't like this one. I like stealing in the game, but too many games around the country are single-umpire games. I have worked games with stealing at the major level and can attest that it would be difficult enough to handle the calls with two umpires, let alone by yourself.

Move the pitcher's plate back to 53' or 55'

No problem with this one

Numerous changes to return all balls to a maximum of 525 lb. compression. Reason: Losing teams who do not want to hit a "mush ball".

If I've read different boards correctly, the other associations are leaning toward the 375. Of course, the number is only a maximum and doesn't prohibit use of a ball at a lower level.

Eliminate the use of an 11" ball for women in the Co-ed game.

Another one I like (also because it's mine). I know quite a few umpires who don't work the game because of the ball-changing issue (yeah, petty, I know). However, women use 12" balls from the time they are 12 years old through college. The ISF has the women hit the 12" ball. It would also cut the expenses of Co-ed teams in half when purchasing balls.

There are more changes to the Senior's game than I can type from reclassification of the divisions, home run allowances and even limiting the number of runs scored in an inning/game (which is being experimented with at the international level).

Too much at this time to formulate an opinion. I'm going to what and see how things was out in committee.

Eliminate the 6' height requirement for a pitch. Keep the 12' limit, but drop the low end.

The reason is that the umpires already have a remedy for a pitch that comes in too fast, so there is no need for a height restriction. Personally, I think it is just the opposite. By calling the IP, the umpire has even less of a focus point to determine the pitch's speed. Besides, if we start warning and removing pitchers who speed up just because they don't have to get the ball 6', the games will become excrutiatingly long.

Just my opinions.